Monday, April 17, 2006

It's been awhile...

Since last I blogged. Sorry, folks--we've been busy with school and partying. Just kidding sort of. Yesterday Rory and I walked around Myeongdong, trying to get lost because it was such a nice day. We were going to visit Soktcho, a town relatively close to ours (in the same province) that is on the sea and is said to have some of the most amazing landscape in korea. This is both easy and hard to believe, since Chuncheon and Korea in general (what I've seen of it) is so freaking beautiful. Soktcho for another day, I guess. But here in Chuncheon we got me some new shoes--I have big feet; the girl at the converse store knew very little english, but she did know "oh, very big" and pointed at my feet. Yup, I know. Even in the US of A they're big. Rory pointed to his feet and told her 13, and her eyes got really big. They simply do not grow them that large here in Korea. We ate at a vietnamese restaurant and tried this really good beer called 333--it was a light beer that tasted like a stout almost, so we bought a couple more and walked around all these little side, slummy streets with them (you can drink beer outside here, not like that rules our life, but it's still nice). We met about 7 high school/middle school chicks (all about nadine's age) who thought we were the coolest things they'd ever seen. We walked with them for a bit and they took pictures of us on their phones. I'm sure they are all trading those pictures back and forth. We went back to the first place we ever ate at here in Chuncheon--chan and chan's fried chicken--just for posterity and because we were in our old hood. It was nice to realize how much we have improved; we are no longer intimidated by eateries or korean characters (i sort of just rely on rory to tell me what i'm looking at. thanks...). All in all it was a pretty uneventful day, but it was one of those days where I felt like I was on vacation. It was awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NOT TO RUB IT IN, BUT I NOT ONLY FEEL LIKE I'M ALWAYS ON VACATION......... "I AM"......I'M SO GLAD YOU HAVE "THE WORLD TRAVELER" TO CLUE YOU IN JULIE, AS TO WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING AT.....WELL, SOUNDS LIKE IT'S FUN, FUN, FUN....AND THEN SOME....TAKE CARE, AND OH YEAH, BE CAREFUL, LOVE TO ALL......KEEP SAFE